Tuesday, September 30, 2008

.on that bird in the cage

this may sound familiar, if you talked to me in the last few weeks I probably mentioned already how good 'Songs To Scream At The Sun' by Have Heart is.

this album... I don't see any downsides, I've been listening to this album a lot in the past few weeks, maybe too much, and it doesn't fail me in any matter

I love everything about it from the actual musical part to the artwork, looking at the cover photo, which I consider one of the best I've ever seen, just the simplicity of it all
I'm not really the guy that is able to review an album musicwise because I know shit about mixing mastering or whatever else reviewers look/listen at while giving it a spin. In my modest opinion, Songs To Scream At The Sun is in a way better than The Things We Carry, musically they are different but it's still Have Heart, lyricwise, it's defenetly better, not that I think TTWC's lyrics were bad, not at all, but the band grew, and writing songs like this about things that are so personal and so narrow to ones heart, I can only have the deepest respect.

This album has been functioning as my spine for the past few weeks, I've learned a lot about life and myself lately and these songs only back it up. Riding my bike from home to Ghent and vice versa, gives you some time to listen, and I listened a lot in the first few days, afterwards I was riding my bike singing, hearing the lyrics over and over, thinking about how close some of them are related to my own life... Flynn got me even writing for myself, not that it won't get even close to what he has achieved in writing his songs, but writing stuff down kinda helped me letting it all out in a different way, a way I hadn't tried before.




"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousands stars how to dance..."

Pat Flynn, don't ever stop writing

No comments: