Friday, December 26, 2008

Rapping up 2008

Last days of 2008, I don't consider it being a big deal but it's always cool to re-evaluate the past year.
2008 was a pretty good year I reckon, for me at least, it didn't start out that good but through the months things kept getting better.
I think I've learnt the most this year of all my years in my 20 year excistence.
Not only in school, which did taught me some interesting stuff, I got to learn a lot about people, by just meeting them, Genet and Ieperfest also played a huge role in my 'learningproces' this year. Through rough times and hardships I think I learned pretty much the most.

Through all ups and downs, 2008 is currently rated #1 I guess. A few reasons which made 2008 such a good year:
- meeting some incredible people from all over
- getting to work with bands and music in general
- getting the oppurtunity through Genet records to go to endless shows and gigs all year round and meet even more great people
- being able to participate and work with/for the Ieperfest festival, where I pretty much learned way more in 3 days than I'd learn in weeks/months
- working at the Polé Polé festival always makes me happy
- great new records from cool bands, great shows on festivals, great roadtrips to the festivals etc
- amazing times in Amsterdam, Germany, London
These are just a few examples and in some way a thank you to the people who were involved with any of the actions listed above.


The end of the year does ask for a end of the year list, rapping up my musical favorites of 2008:

Top 10 records:
1. Have Heart - Songs To Scream At The Sun
2. Amenra - Mass IIII
3. Trash Talk - S/t
4. Killing The Dream - Fractures
5. Shipwreck AD - Abyss
6. The Black Heart Rebellion - Monologue
7. Embrace The End - Ley Lines
8. Reign Supreme - American Violence
9. Cold World - Dedicated To Babies Who Came With Feet First
10. Cruel Hand - Prying Eyes

The top five is pretty much the correct order the other ones I didn't really know where to put.
Records that where close to making it:
Kingdom - S/t
50 Lions - Down To Nothing - Split 7"
Days Of Betrayal - Decapitated For Research

Top 10(+3) live performances:
1. Betrayed - Ieperfest
2. Have Heart - Ieperfest, MOD Hasselt
3. 50 Lions - Frontline Ghent, Pressurefest
4. Amenra - Recordrelease Ghent, Ieperfest
5. The Black Heart Rebellion - Graphic Art School Ghent
6. Trash Talk - Ill Blood Fest Izegem, Pressurefest
7. Comeback Kid - Summerblast Trier
8. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Hof Ter Loo Antwerp
9. Fucked Up - Trix Antwerp
10.Suicide Silence - Baroeg Rotterdam, Groezrock
11.Baroness - Summerblast Trier, Melkweg Amsterdam
12.War From A Harlots Mouth - Maldegem
13.Negative Approach - Summerblast Trier, Hof Ter Loo Antwerp

The shows listed above were my favorites of 2008, not only because of the music, mostly the people involved, people I met, people I was with at the show, the drive to and from the show.. it all played a role

Best parties of this year were:
1. Student Kickoff Ghent - shitfaced Lucas (fuck yeah)
2. Jaspers fundraiser and Josefiens houseparty afterwards
3. Ghent festival (Genste Fieste) - Polé Polé festival
4. Ieperfest Afterparty
5. Holy Shit Party at Sioux

Best Tv-shows of 2008
1. Californication

No competition



As for 2009 I have no clue so far what's going to happen, I can make a guess though.
Get a job asap, move out hopefully around March in the best appartment I've seen to this date. Get over stuff. Taking pictures. Cooking. Add people to the 2009 shitlist. Mad parties. Crazy gigs. Awesome records. Off the hook hangouts. Being badass 24/7



Bite back the hand that feeds.

No comments: